A recent convert to laptop DJing offers his view on what makes a good bar DJ
- If you wish to be able to use an external hard drive containing your music on both Windows PC's and Apple Mac computers you will need to format the drive so that both operating systems can read and write to it. Windows cannot access native Mac formatted drives.
- Mar 22, 2017 'djay Pro is the most modern way to DJ on your Mac,' said Karim Morsy, CEO of Algoriddim. 'This new version adds a host of new features for.
- Use the Touch Bar on Mac. If your Mac has a Touch Bar, you can use familiar gestures—like tap, swipe, or slide—directly on the Touch Bar to adjust settings, use Siri, access function keys, and do tasks in different apps.
- Feb 08, 2014 I'll answer as someone who started with Traktor on a Windows laptop, and moved to Traktor on a Macbook Pro after a year. Most nights, DJing with the win laptop was fine. It was reasonably powerful and well built, not a cheap brand. But there was.
Evaldascx Home user Member since 2015 Have a problem, Virtual Dj opens in high sierra and dont respond, the same with Serato, and Djay pro. Anyone knows what a problem? Macbook pro with touch bar, Intel i5 2,9 Ghz.
I’ve been a music lover all my life, but I’m a relatively new digital DJ. It all started for me because some friends who have a local covers band asked me to play some tunes after a gig they had. Because I didn’t want to just use Media Player or Winamp to play one song after another, I went searching and found Virtual DJ. After two weeks learning the basics and trying to build a decent set, I played my first gig, which went went well (although I only did minimal mixes, I managed to keep them smooth).
In the process, I totally fell in love with DJing. Nowadays, I use Virtual DJ Pro 7 with a four-deck skin on a decent laptop. I totally believe in digital DJing. Analogue DJing just doesn’t appeal to me, because it doesn’t offer me 10% of the options that Virtual DJ does.
GarageBand 2.0 for iOS review: More tracks, a few tweaks. Today's Best Tech Deals. Namely the iPhone 5s, the iPad Air, or the iPad mini with Retina display, you can record up to 32 tracks. The 2014 iPad Air 2 is now the oldest model that supports Apple’s new iPad operating system, iPadOS. A lot of people keep asking me; should I get myself one of these and is it any good for GarageBand? Find out in the video below! Garageband ipad air 2 review.
I’ve never used CD or vinyl, neither have I used a mixer or controller (the truth is that I just can’t afford to buy one right now). I only use my lappy, with a lot of mapped keys, and the mouse when I must.
So far I’ve played a handful of bar gigs, and already I feel like I’ve learned an awful lot. This is what I know:
- The DJ’s mission is to spin tunes, but the real mission is to sell drinks – The DJ is there to help the bar owner to make profit while people are having fun. A DJ is not like a band or a singer: The DJ is not the star of the night, music is. So it’s all about the music, not about the guy/girl in the DJ booth. The DJ’s mission in to entertain, not to get vain.
- Music is more important than technical perfection – I believe that a great DJ must master striking a musical balance. One must know how to entertain people by giving them the current hits, some popular oldies, some new stuff for them to get to know, but also some totally unexpected mixes (as well as some obvious ones). And while doing all that, to avoid a change of musical style every three songs (but also not playing the same style all night).
- Proper preparation and homework are essential – I don’t feel comfortable with the idea of improvising a complete set live. My best mixes are the ones that I really work on, with cue points prepared and perfect timings practised. It’s the difference between an OK set and a great one. You should force yourselves to try different stuff until exhaustion, not settling for less that the best you can do.
- Mixing is to DJing what a sub-woofer is to sound: You’re not supposed to hear it, but to feel it – I will always prefer someone who is using just an iPod playing the music I personally love to a technically perfect DJ who is boring everyone. Now, if I’m hearing someone play the music I love, while feeling totally smooth transitions, eventually with some cool loops and/or samples, then I’m having a great time! And if above that, I look at the DJ and see that the guy is also enjoying himself, that’s when “good” becomes “great”.
- The media used to DJ with is about as relevant as the colour of the DJ’s socks – I couldn’t care less about the endless vinyl / CD / MP3 debate. I just care about options, tools and the final result. If digital gives me plenty more options than any other media, then digital it is. The idea of a DJ using vinyl just out of personal preference, even if that means his set suffers, makes no sense to me: It’s pretentious and it lacks perspective. As in art, people who don’t manage to come up with brilliant ideas tend to try to compensate with technical skills.
A challenging part of laptop DJing for me is to manage to do everything I can think of using just a mouse and a keyboard. Ideally I think that one should have a controller, but this really is just a technical detail: For me the hardest part is to build really good sets, and to get used to figuring out quickly which mixes work and which don’t. My final advice to people wanting to start mixing digitally is: Learn the software inside out, and learn about technical stuff (from RCA cables to ground loops to latency to 16 bits versus 24 bits).
Never use your eyes to beat match songs, but use your ears to figure if it really sounds amazing. And lastly, never, ever allow yourselves to put the software above the music.
• Luis Paolo is a 36-year-old Portuguese laptop DJ and Digital DJ Tips reader.
Do you agree with Luís? What are your golden rules for DJing successfully in bars? Do you manage to DJ with just a laptop and without any kind of controller too? Please share your thoughts and experiences below.
you may also like
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
On this page, you will find answers to the most commonly asked questions in the forums and support about VirtualDJ Website, Accounts, Licenses, Purchase and Upgrade Questions, Add-Ons etc.:
For technical Questions about VirtualDJ read the VirtualDJ User Guide or visit VirtualDJ Knowledge Database.
For technical Questions about VirtualDJ 7 and other Legacy Products read its Manual or visit VirtualDJ 7 Knowledge Database
How can I create a VirtualDJ account ?
Why do I need to create a VirtualDJ account ?
I've just created an account but I haven't received the verification code
Why must I register my LE keycode in my Account?
How can I change my Account email?
How can I change my Password?
How can I change my login name?
How can I delete my login account?
I think somebody may have hacked into or accessed my account. What should I do?
I've forgotten my Login (username/nickname)
I've forgotten my password
I haven't received any E-mail when I tried to recover my password
Users, Blogs, Private Messages and VirtualDJ Radio
Why can't I have a blog or a Private Messages system?
Why can't I add other users as my friends?
How can I be DJ on VirtualDJ Radio?
Add-ons (Skins, Effects, Samples, Tools etc)
How do I download and install new skins, effects, samples, etc.?
I have installed an Add-on but it doesnt work
I have VirtualDJ LE that came with the MIDI controller or other hardware that I purchased. Why can't I download and/or use the plugins?
Can I share or sell the plugins available on the website?
I have created a VirtualDJ Add-on. How can I upload and share it?
Why was my message deleted?
Why was my topic locked?
Why can't I see all the messages in a topic?
Can I advertise my DJ gear or products for sale on the forums?
What do the stars underneath the names of users mean?
How do I become an Experienced or VIP Member?
Should I help 'no license users' on the forum?
What are the minimum or recommended system requirements to run VirtualDJ?
Does VirtualDJ work on my Windows/Mac OSX Operating system?
Can I install VirtualDJ on my Apple iPhone, iPad, iPod or Android?
Does VirtualDJ work on Linux?
What hardware can I use with VirtualDJ?
Will VirtualDJ work with my mixer?
Where can I find the user manual for VirtualDJ?
Where can I find the VirtualDJ user manual for my controller?
Trial and FREE versions
Can I download VirtualDJ for free?
Is there a free, trial, or demo version available?
What is the difference between VirtualDJ FREE, Plus, Pro Infinity or Pro Subscriber?
Can I use VirtualDJ FREE at my DJ gig or party?
Can Use My Touch Bar On Mac On Virtual Dj Windows 7
VirtualDJ LE (Limited Edition)
How do I install VirtualDJ LE ?
What is the difference between VirtualDJ LE and other VirtualDJ Licenses ?
I have a VirtualDJ LE serial-keycode. Where can i download the software from ?
How can I update my VirtualDJ LE to the latest version ?
How much will it cost me to upgrade my VirtualDJ LE to a Pro Infinity or Plus Controller License?
How do I change the skin or use plugins in VirtualDJ 8 LE?
How do I install custom skins, effects or other plugins in VirtualDJ 8 LE?
How do I customize the mappings of my controller in VirtualDJ 8 LE?
I have purchased a new MIDI controller but it came with another DJ software instead of VirtualDJ LE included. How can use it with VirtualDJ or obtain VirtualDJ LE for it?
I can't register my LE serial number in my Account. It tells me that the serial number is already registered
I have forgotten or have lost my LE serial number. How can i get it back?
Purchase & Delivery
Where do I buy VirtualDJ from?
What license should I purchase?
I have just purchased a VirtualDJ license. What do I do next?
I have purchased VirtualDJ, how can I download what i have paid for?
How long will it take to complete my purchase and let me download the software?
Will you send me a CD when purchasing the software?
I have not received my order confirmation, serial number and details on how to download my software
I have purchased VirtualDJ, how can I get an invoice for my company?
What is the VAT number on the form?
I don't want to use my credit card on Internet! How can I purchase your software?
I would like a refund
Licenses and Serials (Keycodes)
What is a License for and how do I get one?
What does the Plus License offer compared to the Pro Infinity?
What does the Pro Subscription License offer compared to the Pro Infinity?
Can I use VirtualDJ Offline ?
What is a serial number and who do I get one?
I have forgotten or have lost my serial number. How can I get it back?
I think somebody may have hacked into or accessed my account. What should I do and can you issue me with a new License?
Can I sell my software and/or software license?
I have purchased VirtualDJ second hand or a friend gave it to me. How do I transfer the license to my account?
I purchased VirtualDJ from eBay, Craigslist or another website and I am unable to register it
Software Updates and Upgrades
What are the features of the latest VirtualDJ version ?
How can I check which version or build number that I am using?
Where can I find a list of what's new and what's been changed in the recent VirtualDJ builds ?
How can I update VirtualDJ to the latest available version/build ?
I need a previous version of VirtualDJ, how can I get it ?
When will the next version of VirtualDJ be released?
I would like to suggest a new feature or improvement to the software
I think I may have found a bug in the software
How can i get an Early Access or a Beta build?
How can I become a beta-tester of VirtualDJ?
I'm a C++ software developer. How can I help?
I have an older version of VirtualDJ and would like to download the latest version, how can I get it?
How much will it cost to upgrade?
How do I backup my VirtualDJ software
How do I backup my VirtualDJ database and settings?
Should I backup my music collection?
Do I need a backup system on stand-by?
I'm told that I'm not a real DJ because I use software and/or don't use vinyl/CDJ's, or because I use VirtualDJ instead of another DJ software package
I'm being accused of 'cheating' because I use VirtualDJ
How do I contact support?
How long does it take to get an answer?
How can I check the status of my ticket or update it?
My question has been read by your staff but I still have no answer..
I have lost the installation file for VirtualDJ. How can I get it back?
I'm a licensed user and need to download my software again
Can I install the software on a new computer or more than one computer?
Can I install VirtualDJ on my Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod?
I have downloaded VirtualDJ from a warez site, P2P or torrent and it is not working
How do I transfer the software from my old computer to my new computer?
When I try to download VirtualDJ, Internet Explorer displays the error: This file is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer
My VirtualDJ keeps crashing and/or freezing
How do I perform a clean installation of the software?
How do I delete or un-install VirtualDJ?